1. Master Foug, we are not worthy!
  2. Updated the forum to xenforo 1.3.2 Updated the style. Trying to get the new server working right.
  3. Having some problems with our current style. Use the Xenforo Default if your not seeing forums or topics. Will fix tonight. - Reeve

Day 1 DLC prompts calls to boycott Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'The D-Pad' started by Indorktrination Theory, Feb 24, 2012.

?

Are you okay with Day 1 DLC?

1. I'm fine with it. You don't have to buy it if you don't want it.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. I'm against it. If it's ready for Day 1, it should be in the main game.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Depends what the DLC is.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Indorktrination Theory

Indorktrination Theory Commander? I hardly knew her! Staff Member

masseffectsadface.jpg

Oh boy. Here's the story as it stands, and I'll try and keep it spoiler free:

Due to a slip up recently on Xbox's LIVE Marketplace (what else?), it was revealed that the first installment of Mass Effect 3 DLC content would be a day 1 release. The DLC is called From Ashes, and contains a bonus mission and bonus character (in the same vein as the Zaeed and Kasumi DLC from Mass Effect 2), and was revealed to have been the same bonus mission/character content included for in the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect 3 (surely covered in the extra cost of the CE, along with the artbook and various other extras).

Not surprisingly, because you know, the internet, there's been a backlash asking why such notable DLC isn't actually included as part of the game, even accusals that a piece of the main game had been annexed and sold off as DLC for a bit of extra coin.

Of course, the general defense is that you can plainly just not buy the DLC. But for some that old retort just isn't good enough in this case.

The meat of the argument against this piece of DLC comes from the fact that the mission and character combo included revolves around something so spoilery and integral to the Mass Effect universe that some are bewildered that it's not actually part of the main game itself. I've been spoiled as to what the DLC pack is about, and I have to agree that it is a surprising move that it's being treated as somewhat of an extra.

Some in fact feel so strongly that the content of this DLC is paramount to the complete experience of Mass Effect 3 that they're proclaiming that they may as well be extorted by the conglomerate of unabashed evil which is Electronic Arts - which in turn has lead to calls of boycotting the game.

Total Biscuit sounding off and proclaiming BioWare has gone too far (there are spoilers):

Basically, he argues that selling an important piece of DLC which was obviously planned in advance is unethical, milking the consumer, amongst other things; and says that even though he enjoys the Mass Effect series immensely, that he will boycott the game.

Casey Hudson, executive producer of the Mass Effect trilogy, went to Twitter to explain the planning process behind the DLC to try and quell the flames (@CaseyDHudson):

Another BioWare producer took to the official developer's forums to try and calm the corners of uprising also. I'll quote some of his post as the rest of it is spoilery, not to mention the thread itself. But there's the link anyway.

So the question is, are the complaints against this Day 1 DLC a fair call, or is it the height of fan entitlement?
  2. Jimmy

Jimmy License to Shill Staff Member

Zaeed was a worthless piece of shit. Literally, not, like, his persona or morality. I totally forgot about him.

I started the rant video, saw it was 24 minutes, then decided to base everything off of the first 5 minutes. :awesome: His argument is baseless and idiotic. They didn't make the content and removed it to sell separately. :lol: It's part of the +$10 CE (via a code, i.e. NOT INCLUDED), and will be available if you want it or not for the other versions for $10 (You don't NEED it. . .At all).

Trust me, I hate what EA is doing (Like having to register console games in order to use them), but this is just stupid.

Cut. Print. Dumb.
  3. moley

moley Keizer Keisuke Staff Member

Hate day 1 DLC more so when its like res evil 5 and its on the disc already and you are paying to unlock it.

I also hate the fact If I get ME3 on day one I'll also be getting the dlc
  4. Hereticus

Hereticus Well-Known Member

That's actually great news for me. I was unable to pre-order the CE edition and I didn't want to miss out on the characters. I have no problem about this because as jimmy said, it is just DLC and you don't have to buy it.

Looking at the character it looks as if I won't even use him/her. I am a Cerberus: human first and human only!
  5. Jimmy

I pretty much exclusively use Garrus, anyway. The sexual tension is so thick, you could cut it with an omni-blade! :awesome:
  6. Etch

Etch My ears are burning...

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition yesterday, and I'm actually a bit miffed that something which I thought was a bonus to said CE will now be available to those who just get the normal edition right off the bat for an extra $10. I'd expect any content like that to be made available to all eventually (like Arkham City's Robin DLC), but not straight away on day 1.
    People really shouldn't complain about this, I think BioWare are throwing them a bone.
  7. The Alpha and Omega

The Alpha and Omega The Beginning and The End

You elitist PoS, gtfo. GTFO.
  8. Etch

Moneeeeey :ban:
  9. Jimmy

The only Gods are Money & Bitches *fist bumps Sketch*

Anyone see that ep of Key & Peele? :lol:
  10. Master Thief

Master Thief Portal

I couldn't care less. I preordered the ME3 CE and the only thing I want is for it to arrive on time AMAZON!!! DO NOT FAIL ME AGAIN!!!!
  11. Etch

Interesting, the votes are split down the middle.
  12. Jimmy

But how many of those votes are Sketch aliases?
  13. Etch

I've only voted once. :bag:
  14. Kommissar Hades

Kommissar Hades Permanently Cantankerous

15. Miasthma

Miasthma jace spunk

I had heard that the DLC was a separate game/mission from the main arch. Like Undead Nightmare for RDR. If that were the case, I'd say it was reasonable.
    This seems like a cheap cash grab though, but I'm not that upset about it.
  16. Jimmy

One of the playable companions is unique/relevant to the main overall story, but yeah, the DLC story is separate. The character's relevance is what has most people's panties in a bunch.
  17. Etch

People are assuming the relevance, more like it.

Because of his race
  18. Etch

19. EsKo

EsKo You had one job!

It might suck, but 0/10 is a bit harsh.
  20. Etch

It's been getting pretty great critic reviews (the average seems to be 9/10), so anybody lowballing 0/10 definitely is being disingenuous.