1. Master Foug, we are not worthy!
  2. Updated the forum to xenforo 1.3.2 Updated the style. Trying to get the new server working right.
  3. Having some problems with our current style. Use the Xenforo Default if your not seeing forums or topics. Will fix tonight. - Reeve

In defense of Apple

Discussion in 'The D-Pad' started by Hausakluif, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Hausakluif

Hausakluif New Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/01/AR2009080101074.html?referrer=digg

I submit Apple has every right to approve or deny applications for the iPhone on account that they have no obligation to approve applications from competitors such as Google. Additionally, I would submit that it may disable jail-broken iPhones on account of the violation of the terms of service. If one does not wish to abide by a contract, one ought not enter into such a contract by buying an iPhone, and in fact one is perfectly able to buy something else.

The FCC would do well to consider Apple's rights over its own products.
  2. Master Thief

Master Thief Portal

HAHAHA LMAO
  3. Hausakluif

Hausakluif New Member

My, what an intelligent and thought-out approach. You must be on your middle school's honour roll!
  4. Master Thief

Master Thief Portal

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not agreeing with you either. I'm neutral.
  5. Hendrix

Hendrix Long Mouse

I don't like Apple, greedy corporate whores.
  6. zigmund

zigmund Member

So do you hate all large companies, or just "greedy" ones? What about the people that are willing to pay exorbitant prices for stupid shit like Iphones?
  7. Ape Fist

Ape Fist Old man Internet

kill all macfags
  8. Ffffrrruuuunkus!

Ffffrrruuuunkus! <span style="color: gray">...</span>

I like using my mac at starbucks so I can pretend that I'm writing a screenplay when all I'm really doing is updating my twitter on my thoughts on the latest animal collective cd~
  9. Mikey

Mikey <font color="orange">PIZZA</font>

Apple bans apps for no reason all the time, they don't give a shit who you are. This isn't really news, the only difference here is that it was a google app.
  10. Hendrix

Hendrix Long Mouse

Me too! We should write our screenplays side by side and bounce ideas off of each other!
  11. psyanidechrist

psyanidechrist Hello how do i shot web

I'm pretty sick of all the people I know with Macs telling me I simply have to have one when all they do with it is browse facebook and use skype.

That said, I have an iPhone, and I am very happy with it.

But anyway, of course Apple has the right to ban what they want to- they are a business, not the cool aquaintance that all of the marketing is aimed at brainwashing everyone into thinking. I'm a little sore that iPhones will never run Flash, but that's the way it has to be got Apple to stay in business.
  12. foug

foug i'm sleep

13. psyanidechrist

psyanidechrist Hello how do i shot web

The networks here naturally use MMS. Unless there's something I don't see.
  14. Master Thief

Master Thief Portal

the "I'm a PC, and I"m a Mac" ads have to stop airing on television.
  15. Hilary

Hilary .

Apple's rights over its own products should be making them and selling them, not commanding what they're used for by the end user.

This is like not unlike buying a new laptop and being told you can't download specific programs because Dell/Toshiba/Compaq/HP doesn't like them. The only difference between the wireless situation and the laptop situation is that PC's and internet already have laws in place to protect ur internettin freedomz. Hopefully the same things are eventually applied to wireless devices, especially as the line between PC and handheld wireless device starts blurring.
  16. Reeve of the Turks

Reeve of the Turks Amplify Your Life Staff Member

One thing to keep in mind about the google voice app issue is that calls made to / from google voice use cell phone minutes. Those minutes aren't considered M2M either, so you may end up using MORE of your minutes, not less. More Minutes = More Money for ATTAPPLE.

The real issue though is lack of competition. I bought the original iphone and the 3GS because it does everything I want, and it does it nicely. Blackberries were more for corporate users and Windows Mobile phones were just lacking. The only decent one out there is HTC and they just never got around the bend and the platform still lacks the robust app selection Apple has.
  17. Mikey

Mikey <font color="orange">PIZZA</font>

I found a document yesterday that explained why that voice app was banned. It was basically saying that apple felt the google voice app would duplicate a lot of the core functionality that's already in the iphone, such as making and receiving calls. Apple apparently is very adamant about avoiding user confusion by preventing such redundancy.

However, Google has apparently taken this up with the FCC. I guess it has something to do with the fact that it's the FCC that dictates what happens on the private radiowave spectrum, not Apple.

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/09/20/1141226/Google-Apple-Joust-Over-Rejected-Voice-App?from=rss
  18. Ffffrrruuuunkus!

Ffffrrruuuunkus! <span style="color: gray">...</span>

They still make those?

Ew
  19. Korynn

Korynn DnB Maestro

Yes, they do, and I don't think they'll stop anytime soon because Microsoft enjoys the free
    advertising. Haha.

(I knew they were really friends!):eek:

~K.
  20. Queen Frostine

Queen Frostine tra la la

I heart my macbook, y'all can suck it.

I didn't really have that much of an opinion on this (as I don't own an iPhone or give it much thought) but this seems like a perfectly reasonable argument.